Monday, April 27, 2009

Sweet Blackberry Chicken

B and I just got back from a cruise this morning and we definitely brought back a few pounds from all of those buffets. I decided this week I would cook some lighter foods and try to be a bit healthier since both of us started working out again and are trying to get back in shape. I was inspired by this dish from Ellysaysopa's blog - although I altered it a little as I usually do to most recipes I make.
I have to say it came out pretty good. It was different and at first B wasn't sure if he liked it... but 4 pieces of chicken later I think he decided he did! I added the goat cheese because I love cheese, and I especially love cheese mixed with fruit. The sweetness of the sauce is offset by the saltiness of the cheese. If you don't like goat cheese it can definitely be left out of the recipe. I actually did not use it on my husband's chicken because he won't even try goat cheese (he is a very picky eater). But the picture shown is my piece which obviously is covered in it.

















Blackberry Chicken

Ingredients
4-6 chicken filet cutlets
dry thyme, salt, and pepper for seasoning
2 tbsp's balsamic vinegar
4 tbsp's blackberry preserves
sliced goat cheese

Directions
There are two methods - in the inspiration blog, the chef sauteed her chicken in olive oil after coating with the spices. My husband is really into grilling so in our recipe, we grilled the chicken after coating in the spices. I'm sure either way is fine!

Sauce:
In a low heat saucepan, mix the balsamic vinegar with the blackberry preserves. Do not overheat or you will burn the sauce. When chicken is done cooking, top with sauce and slices of goat cheese.

No comments: